Our inaugural Art Series edition is also our very first blend, inspired by the late Oswaldo Guayasamín—Ecuador’s most celebrated artist. Two vintage editions of To'ak chocolate with totally different personalities carefully blended into a beautiful and exceptionally well-balanced expression of Ecuadorian dark chocolate.
Pairing Recommendations: As always, sweet fortified wines like Port and Pedro Ximenez sherry work beautifully. Zacapa 23 rum, triple-distilled Irish whiskey, and sherry-finished single malt Scotch whisky are also excellent pairing partners. Bowmore 1965, a fascinating Islay single malt, paired particularly well with this edition. In the realm of cheeses, we recommend Gruyère, Comté, aged Gouda, and Brie.
Nose: Tobacco, caramel, floral, woody.
Palate: Woody, buttery caramel, tobacco, honey, dark fruits, softly floral, earthy, nutty.
Finish: Honey, toffee, earthy, nutty.
• Origin: Ecuador
• Appellation: Piedra de Plata
• Harvest: Year 2015
• Variety: Nacional
• Collection: Art Series, blend
• Ingredients: Cacao beans, cane sugar
• Strength: 77% cacao beans
• Aging: 3 years
• Harvest: Rainy season
• Fermentation: 4 & 5 days in Spanish Elm
• Roast: Moderate
• Conch: 9 & 23.5 hours
• Weight: 50 grams
~ 0.001% Alcohol
• Direct Trade
• Supports Rainforest Conservation
• Limited Edition
• Rich in Antioxidants and Theobromine
• Duality Blend chocolate bar, matured 3 years (50 grams)
• Limited edition print by Guayasamín
• Certificate of authenticity from Fundación Guayasamín
• Handcrafted Spanish Elm wood box which converts into a display of the art piece
• Raw cacao bean from one of the last remaining DNA-tested pure Nacional heirloom cacao trees
• Special edition copper engraved tasting plate and Ecuadorian bamboo tasting utensil
• 60 page booklet about To'ak, chocolate tasting, and the Art Series project
We are zealously committed to developing the most ecologically-friendly solutions possible for every element of this project, including our packaging. The wood used to produce our boxes is sustainably sourced in Ecuador and offset by planting native hardwoods in the Jama-Coaque Forest Reserve. The finish used on the boxes is all-natural, comprised of cacao butter and beeswax. Our booklets are printed on recycled paper that is FSC certified and free of chlorine and heavy metals. The goal of environmental sustainability is a never-ending work in progress.
Ingredients: 77% Cacao beans, cane sugar
Variety: Heirloom Nacional